About the job
The Accounting and Compliance Specialist is a mid-level position with responsibilities in both the accounting and compliance areas of CommunityWorks. The individual will complete and report on the financials of the organization, prepare for the annual audit and accompanying tax schedules, and analyze information to present to management and related committees in a timely and accurate manner to maintain General Ledger; additionally, they will be responsible for compliance and reporting with regulatory, governmental, grantors, investor, and other related contractual requirements. The role is involved with high impact matters that involve internal, cross-functional teams. An eagle eye on the details and love for keeping data immaculate is essential for success in the position. This Accounting and Compliance Specialist is a member of the accounting team reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for all CW entities including reconciliation of intercompany receivables. Close month end once financials have been reviewed to ensure integrity of the data.
- Manage accounts receivable and payable to ensure proper coding and timeliness of payments. Report instances of delinquency in accounts receivable and take appropriate steps to collect timely.
- Assist in the management of cash flows including maintaining reconciliation of the loan and program fund accounts. Provide transfer requests as necessary to maintain the fund balances.
- Monitor expenses for function: identify material variations from budget and determine underlying business reasons driving these deviations and report findings.
- Prepare monthly budget variance analysis and assist in updating forecasting reports for review and presentation to management.
- Prepare and report on monthly key performance indicator metrics reports.
- Prepare and present materials for board meetings and audit examinations.
- Lead preparation of annual budget including narratives & monthly cash flow projection. Collaborate to finalize with management and the Finance Committee.
- Assist in providing other finance support and special project analysis as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Implement a comprehensive Compliance Reporting and Tracking Program and Annual Workplan to provide assurance that regulatory, governmental, investor and contractual requirements, including covenants and reporting for agencies, programs, and investors are performed in a complete, accurate and timely manner. Agencies and programs include but are not limited to: financial institutions, other investors, grantors, Department of Treasury, Small Business Administration (SBA), United States Department of Agriculture( USDA).
- Understand program and grant compliance and reporting deadlines including:
- Federal program budgets such as CDFI, SBA and USDA
- Assemble all necessary supporting materials and documents including budget reports for submission to funders and investors
- Periodically report conclusions and recommendations to Management on matters of compliance and internal controls.
- Communicate the status of compliance activities including management’s responsibility for ensuring a sound system of compliance and controls.
- Coordinate with appropriate staff and maintain an accurate Compliance Reporting Calendar to ensure all key dates and reported information is provided on time.
- Review issues or questions relative to compliance and reporting matters and provide consultative leadership and support as appropriate.
- Coordinate and respond to requirements related to investor financial and impact information.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or 5-7 years’ work experience
- 2-4 years’ experience in financial analytics, reporting & management preferred
- Detail oriented with exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines for reporting needs
- Ability to lead process from start to completion
- Strong administrative skills and self-motivated with the ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks under minimal supervision in effective and efficient manner
- Intermediate to expert skills in Microsoft Office (specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to work under pressure and respond to deadlines without sacrificing quality
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and mission driven environment
- Demonstrated interest in community economic development and the mission, vision, and values of CommunityWorks
- Complete, timely and, accurate compliance reports to all investors and grantees.
- Develop, communicate, and implement a comprehensive Compliance Workplan.
- Develop, communicate, and implement internal reporting process which informs management of key compliance performance and metrics.
- Meets or exceeds department goals including those of the Compliance Program Workplan.
- Maintains highest standard of excellence in all relationships with management, colleagues, peers, vendors, investors, auditors, and consultants.
To apply please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.